A day in Hawkesbury
New to our lovely region and not sure what to expect? This article is exactly what you need! First, if you are looking for a specific service or store, we invite you to consult Hawkesbury’s directory of resources and services (French only). You will find absolutely everything that is available in the area, including schools, law firms, telecommunications companies and more! If not, simply read on and you’re sure to come across something that will help you enjoy a wonderful day in your new town.
How to begin the day auspiciously
Enjoy a cup of coffee or a hearty breakfast—a popular way to start the day. If you want to grab a quick bite, check out fast food restaurants, such as Tim Hortons, McDonald’s and A&W, or visit a local café, such as Le Petit Pain Bakery. If you’re not in a rush, you might want to visit one of these restaurants: Goodies, Le Vieux Château, Miss Hawkesbury, L’Escale Restaurant, Chez Carole or Stephanie’s Grill and Bar.
If you are new to Canada, consider ordering a typical Canadian breakfast. It usually consists of two or three kinds of meat, eggs, baked beans, toast and fresh fruit. Note that this may differ from one restaurant to another. You’re a vegetarian or you don’t eat pork? No need to worry! Order pancakes, waffles or French toast to try and specify that you want “real” maple syrup.
And then what?
Options abound, whether you have one day or one hour to roam our town. Here are some ideas of activities you can do:
- Take a walk. Explore the stores within the heart of the town. There really is something for everyone! Clothing, decorations, flowers, warehouses, furniture, toys, soaps, specialty products, jewelry stores, etc.
- Visit one of our many parks or the Robert Hartley Sports Complex to get moving. Our parks offer fresh air and free fun, while the complex offers classes and activities such as swimming, skating and more!
- Drop by the Hawkesbury Public Library to read, play or use the computers for free high-speed internet access.
- Work out at one of the two fitness facilities. Also look into group classes; it’s a great way to meet new people.
- Go shopping along Highway 17. This is where our big box stores are located. You can easily spend the whole day there depending on what you’re looking for.
- Visit Confederation Park and Le Chenail Cultural Centre, which often features interesting exhibitions.
- Get ready for a change with an appointment at a hair salon or barber shop, at a beauty centre, at a spa and massage centre or even at a tattoo and piercing parlour.
- Have fun with friends and family at Olympia Bowling. The best time to go there is on weekends or at the end of the day. You will be treated to the Rock ’n Bowl experience, which offers a festive atmosphere with a disco ball, colourful lights, and trendy music.
- Get together on a beautiful day and have fun at Hawkesbury Golf & Curling or La Cité Golf Club.
To wrap up the day in style, you can visit one of the many restaurants in town. Alternatively, drop by one of the grocery stores to whip up a tasty home-cooked meal using local and imported products. For international ingredients, we recommend FreshCo. This grocery store carries a great selection of multicultural products. For something more local, stop by Boucherie Ménard, a Jardins Lamoureux stand (in the summer) or by Asselin Your Independent Grocer, which sells many local products.
Should there be an activity that you enjoy in Hawkesbury, but is not listed here, please let us know via private message on social networks. We will be delighted to share it with others! We hope this article will be of use, and that you’ll be able to take full advantage of these many activities. For more things to do and more information about the Hawkesbury area, follow our social media.